Sunday, November 12, 2006

I Love a Good Sci-Fi Disaster Movie!

I even like bad sci-fi disaster movies if the special effects are good!

Movies will stretch the science a little (sometimes a lot) to make the plot better or to use more interesting special effects. The biggest question I have while watching is, "Could that REALLY happen?"

Moveis I enjoyed, even though the science might have been a little weak, include Volcano, Dante's Peak, The Day After Tomorrow, The Core, Deep Impact, and The Poseidon Adventure. Twister and Armageddon have some good scenes, but the plot and/or the acting were so ridiculous that I didn't really enjoy them. Can you think of others?

There are some sites devoted to analyzing the science behind movies. Two are Bad Astronomy and Insulting Stupid Movie Physics

What are your favortie sci-fi or disaster movies? What is the best special effect you've ever seen? Which movies seem the most likely to happen? How about least likely to happen? Can you think of questions related to movies you've seen?

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I dont really watch sci-fi movies. I mean I've seen the day aftert tomorrow, the cor, and twister. thats probably it. unless you count shark movies as sci-fi

My favorite out of the ones I saw was pretty much The day after tomorrow. The plot was retarted, but the effects.. woah! Its only reason i watch it. OH! I saw that one movie where they go back in time, but then someone steps on a butterfly and changes everything. I didnt like it. it was retarded. But anyway, would what happen in the core really hapen? like people actully go down to the core?

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I don't really watch sci-fi movies but some of the ones you named like twister is one of my favorite movies. I also liked The Day Afteer Tomorrow I just hope that that won't happen while I'm still alive. I always thought that they were fairly accurate though, but now it is good to know that it isn't so i won't be worried about any of that stuff happening.

Anonymous said...

well...
i dont really have a favorite movies, but i have to say that i LOVE the day after tomorrow
i really do! It make you think you know? Twister( when i was little!) scared the crap out of me, it really did. Im terrified of tornadoes! ahhh
well anyway i think that sci-fi movies are over-rated and sucky, buts thats all cool becuase they make you laugh/weirded out/ and they make u think! wooohooo ha =D

^
\
/
\
/
\
G
a
b
y!

Anonymous said...

omg!!!!!! had soooo much fun on the trip! The Day After Tomarrow was an excellent movie and so is Twister!!! Those are 2 of my favorite sci-fi movies! Very cool effects on both( esp. when the cow goes flying in Twister, very funny!)

Anonymous said...

actually, I think it would be kind of cool if some of those things happened like in the day after tomarrow, as long as no one dies:)

Anonymous said...

the trip was so much fun ms.q!!!! make a blog about it!!!

Anonymous said...

STAR WARS FTW!

For those not in the know, FTW means "For the Win".

Anonymous said...

gabriel, your stupid.

Anonymous said...

???
I have my own fan club! Oh joy!

Anonymous said...

The new movie "An Inconvenient Truth" is completely politically biased. It endorses an unproven hypothesis, that people are the main cause of global warming. Anyway,I like most sci-fi movies and twister has a scene where it is raining, but you see out the back window and it is bright and sunny.

Mrs. Q. said...

Nick - have you read "State of Fear" by Michael Crichton?

It's a novel, but it based on the premise that global warming may not be caused by man's activities and that it is an issue being used to push various political agendas.

It's pretty - classic MC, of course - if you would like to read it, I'll let you borrow my copy.

Anonymous said...

Good lord, Mrs. Q, don't encourage him! He'll simply have even more ammo to drag his feet about switching to alternate fuels.

Anonymous said...

armaggedon or w/e was prety interesting. and i admit i did cry when "he dies"