Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Earthquake in Hawaii

The island state of Hawaii experienced an earthquake on Sunday. Usually the type of earthquake that occurs in Hawaii is different than the type that occurs in California. California's are tectonic - that means they happen due to shifts in the Earth's crustal, or tectonic, plates. Hawaii's are usually magmatic, or due to magma moving beneath the volcano. Sometimes the stress of a growing volcano can trigger bigger earthquakes that are tectonic like the one on Sunday. Read more and try out the interactive link here.

Volcanoes have played an important part in human history. many people find them fascinating, even if they are dangerous. One of my dreams is to visit the Volcanoes of Hawaii - have you ever been there or to another volcano? What was it like? If you could visit a volcano, would you? Which one would you go to, if you did? What is your favorite volcano?

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

it would be cool to see a volcano from a distance but i would be nervous about going up on one incase i fell in.

Anonymous said...

dude, I wish I could see a volcano expoled!!! That would be so cool! The after affect would just be really gross though! For our favorite volcano, idk, its not like I know all the volcanoes in the world so I really cant answer that.

Anonymous said...

sry, my computers stupid so I clicked the mouse too many times.(bad computadora!)

Anonymous said...

My favorite volcano is a dormant one. I wouldn't really want to risk internal burnination...

Anonymous said...

I agree with Gabriel besides his last sentence...I dont even know what internal burnination is.I like that really big volcano thats like the biggest in the world...I dont know what its called but it looks so huge.

¥Ü¥

Anonymous said...

I would like to visit a volcano.
How cool would that be.
I'd like to go visit one in Hawaii just because of how pretty it is!
Which one do you wanna see Mrs. Q??

Now I wanna go see a volcano really bad but oh well. lol.

Mrs. Q. said...

Hilda - I have several I would like to visit - Mt. Fuji in Japan, because it's so beautiful; the Hawaiian islands because they are part of the US and actvie (but fairly safe to visit and view), and finally, Mt. Vesuvius, in Italy, because of the history of Pompeii.

I'll find and post some pictures in a new blog.

Anonymous said...

I haven't been to a volcano but I would love to see one. I'm not sure if I would go all the way up the volcano but pretty close to the top. I find them very interesting and they form part of history such as pompeii. I'm not so sure about whitch volcano is my favorite because I don't know a lot of them, but it would probably be Mt. Vesuvius.

Anonymous said...

Dude, you know how bad volcanoes are? The after effect is like so horrible. In like 2 weeks, a cloud of ash still circles the earth if it was a bad volcano. I was watching this show that was about Yellowstone Park and if that volcano exploded, it could potentially deteriorate North America in a matter of weeks!wow, very scary!

Anonymous said...

i have never been to a volcano, and i really would like to go see one! if i could choose, i probably would want to see Mt. St. Helens in Hawaii because i have heard so much about it, and it seems like it would be a very interesting expierience!

Anonymous said...

I would go to Mt. St. Helens, since it is still active. But, I would really like to go up close to lava. Not too close, though, for obvious reasons.