Tuesday, January 09, 2007

A Tourist in My Own City

Over Christmas break, I had the pleasure of showing my mother around our fine capital city. After searching for some sites to see on the internet, I found something called a "CityPass" - this was a ticket that for a set price got you into 6 attractions around the city - for about half the price of all the admissions!

It had its advantages and disadvantages - on the negative side, you had to use the tickets within a short period of time - 9 days. Also, you were limited to the 6 attractions that were included. However, the pros were very nice - the price and being able to bypass the admissions lines at most places.

So, where did we go?

The Georgia Aquarium - this was as amazing as I had heard - I loved the Belugas and the whale sharks, the penguins and the river otters. The tanks that were over my head were particularly impressive. The Deepo 4-D show was cute and fun - it was in 3-D with effects like bubbles, water sprays, and jellyfish tentacles going by. The crowds were HUGE, though, and that did take away some of the fun of the day. I would definitely go again, but at a less crowded time.

Fernbank Museum of Natural History - I always enjoy this, and what was really cool was that there was a special exhibit about ancient Rome - one of my mom's interests (unfortunately it ended on January 3rd). This was a choice ticket - I opted to go here instead of the Botanical Garden - also very nice, but it was a cold day.

The High Museum of Art - Very cool because the Louvre in Paris is sponsoring a 3 year rotation of some of its treasures - I stood face to face witha real Rembrandt - pretty awesome.

The Atlanta History Center - I had never been here, and I was really impressed! A lot to see and do. I thought it was going to be all about the Civil War and "Gone with the Wind" but it actually had some very cool exhibits. This was a choice ticket, too - we went here instead of the Zoo - the weather again was a factor - I showed my mom the PandaCam at home, though!

CNN Center - Interesting, but short. This is a 50 minute tour behind the scenes at CNN. We did get to see a live broadcast - that was cool.

World of Coke - One long Coke commercial...but a fun one, of course - especially trying the flavors from around the world - no, I did not try "Beverly" this time, but I have had it before. It was very crowded, too, but the CityPass let us pass right by the long line - that was great!

Overall, I enjoyed seeing Atlanta as a tourist, and it was fun to show my mom around. There were so many other places I would've liked her to see though...

What are some of your favorite places around town and why? Where do you like to take your family when they come to visit?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really want to visit the Aquarium; Tyler is always bugging me to visit. The Coca-Cola Building was cool, but the coolest of all is definately the 1337 Big Chicken.

Mrs. Q. said...

LOL - my brother told my mom she HAD to see the Big Chicken whne she visited - she did - we ate dinnet there one night.

Anonymous said...

hhaha idk personally i like ikea... the aquariums cool because if someone asks you if youve ever been to the worlds largest aquarium...you can =]

gaby

Anonymous said...

*************AQUARIUM
gaby

Anonymous said...

The Aquarium is okay. Could have been better. I'm really sad that that one whale died.. =[[ poor him

Anonymous said...

I think the Big Chicken is awesome!
Its eyes spin around and its beak goes up and down!
-hee-hee-that rymes.ya

Anonymous said...

wow. gaby likes ikea. ur so strange gaby! jk! i love u!

Anonymous said...

The aquariam and zoo sound cool. I never get to go anywhere *cough Miss bonsteins homeworks*
When i went to the coke muesuem, i thought it was boring -.-

CIty pass seems cool just cutting everyoen and there like looking at you going :O

Anonymous said...

It was cool sight for seeing all the stars. First, I learned about spectras which help to determine ages of stars. Spectra is a range of color which was dispersed by a prism. Second, I learned there are 2 kinds of fuels. One of them is nuclear fusion. Last, if the stars are more massive, the power of the stars become increased. It does have thend to burn hotter and faster. Anyway, there are many cool sight of stars with many different form

Mrs. Q. said...

Wow - it's been awhile - I have been slacking on the blog this quarter, but here are some responses:

Gaby - I like IKEA, too, but I have to go with a list - I get so overwhelmed that I'll buy a bunch of stuff, get home, and realize that I didn't get what i went there for!

Hilda - yes, the death of the whale was sad.

Loren - I like the Big chicken, but my brother acted like it was much cooler than it really is.

Tommy - cutting the lines was the best!