Thursday, June 07, 2007

Summertime...and the livin' is easy...

As a kid, I don't know that I ever gave much thought to what teachers did with their summers off. I probably thought they got rolled up and stored in the janitor's closet until the fall, when they were dusted off and cleaned up for teaching in September.

While I didn't go into teaching "for the summers off" I have to admit it is a nice perk of the job (although I tend to look at it as more of a comp time for all the lost nights and weekends spent grading). One of the things I like best is being able to spend time doing and learning cool new stuff. Last year, I went to Brazil to learn some Portuguese, went on a family vacation to Tybee Island, and took a class. This year I am attending two conferences (leadership and technology), takig two classes (my students are often stunned - what? you're going to SCHOOL in the SUMMER and you don't HAVE to?), as well as going on a family vacation to Hilton Head Island - I love the beach!

So what are your plans?

No comments: